Sunday, April 19, 2009

I-Fest

Mostly a waste of money.  To get in:  $15 each.  A Guiness (the theme this year was Ireland) set us back, effectively, 10 bucks (9 coupons cost 10 bucks).  Our meal, plus the beer, was 30 bucks. The Ireland themed exhibits were decent, but nobody wants to read a bunch of shit culled from Wikipedia printed on bright white signs while standing in the Houston sun.

That said, it was something to do and we caught a cool mariachi band, Mariachi Los Arrieros, from El Paso. They played well and they wore cool pants.





2 comments:

willybill said...

Why are the Latino bands at an Irish Fest? Went to a Dallas Stars game and bought 1 cup of bad coffee and a medium bag of M&Ms and it cost me $8.75 and they had a tip jar on the counter. I felt guilty about not tipping the lady behind the counter, so that cost me 10 bucks.

Exile on Runnels Street said...

Mix of music. Texas music stage, Latin music stage, World music stage. Every year they have a different showcase/theme, but they have booths or sections of the event set aside for different cultures and regions.

Prices were absurd and everything had to be done in coupons.

The reality is that the whole thing is an excuse to sell permits to vendors who to set up their tents and hock their (cheap) wares (i.e., smoked turkey legs, which, by the way, smell as bad as they settle--at least in my memory). Not that there is anything wrong with that.

All said, I don't identify strongly with "culture" as these events showcase it, so I get bored quickly. And if the beer costs that much, I won't be back.